Monday, February 23, 2009

A Dark Day

Well, it’s finally happened. My toothpick camera no longer recognizes a toothpick. No more picture taking for me. I am very grateful for the bonus year that I got out of my camera, seeing as, I thought it was a goner when I first dropped it and lost the magic button. But then the joy, oh the joy, when I discovered that I could insert a simple toothpick in the little hole on top and still take pictures! What a gift! Sure, I looked like a fruitcake, walking around sticking toothpicks in my camera and yes, it made for many a funny conversation with various passersby as they observed my oddity of a camera. But, alas, all good things must come to an end.
And, despite my lighthearted remembrances of the last year, I am, truly broken hearted. I’ve become very attached to the idea of using pictures to express how I see the world and without that as an option for awhile, I will feel the loss greatly. Plus, I can’t help but think of the milestones that I might not be able to chronicle. Aidan’s first loose tooth is only getting looser (mind you, it’s taken a month and a half to get to this point but obviously it is going to fall out soon enough) and soon he’ll be ushered into a new phase of his life (believe me, there is a very intimate blog entry stewing in my brain about this event!). UUGGHH!!
Oh well, such is life. I suppose I will begin the slow task of researching cameras (dream ones as well as more practical ones, although I’m beginning to believe that those are one in the same now) and begin the even slower task of saving for its purchase. As I’ve said in previous posts, “Good things come to those who wait”. Right?


“Above all, it's hard learning to live with vivid mental images of scenes I cared for and failed to photograph. It is the edgy existence within me of these unmade images that is the only assurance that the best photographs are yet to be made.”
-Sam Abell

No comments:

Post a Comment