Monday, June 17, 2013

To Reclaim Is To Create



"Reclaim: From the Middle English, to call back..."

Some days I feel like old barn wood.
Solid, yet slightly bowed in the middle …
Curved in places that were once straight and narrow …
Brown locks fading to gray.
It’s heavy enough to truly recognize that I’m growing older but the image of a barn slanting westward on the roadside feels weightier. It reminds me that I am mortal.
So when I found out at forty that I was pregnant for the third time, that weathered tilt that lurks in my lower back sighed ever so slightly. This body-house of mine felt every bit its age.
And just as I might question the wisdom of, once again, using a vintage barn that has stood empty for years, I leaned into the Holy Spirit, whispering questions and what-ifs by the handful.
“Is this a good idea?” I murmured, more than once.

The rest of this story continues over at SheLoves Magazine. Follow me there?


No comments:

Post a Comment