Monday, October 29, 2012

The shedding




I've noticed
on the weekends
that you shed
because I keep finding
pieces of you
around our little house

Funny 
because some days
I spend a lot of my time
attempting to wipe away
all the things that are shed
around here

It is constantly settling

The remains of the day
work their way
into fabric
and tile
and faces
and respectable folk
wash
and
scrub
and 
whisk
away
such things

But 
after a week
of attempting to order chaos
it is nice
to rest

Plus the way that you shed
is different
anyway

Yours is more a
molting 
The week has grown uncomfortably tight
and you 
just
need
to
breathe

So you flit around the house
absorbing yourself
in the daily
which looks so different
on you
than on me

And as you cook
or iron 
or fold 
or polish
there is an exchange

As you pull me close
and smear me
with kisses
or encircle my frame
with the whole of you
there is an exchange

One skin
for
another

And by eventide
you are born
once again

I will wake in the morning
to find you
everywhere
hair in the sink
soup drips on the stove
grass clippings on the porch

But I'll try not to be so quick to
wipe it all away
Because this shedding of yours
it whispers to me 
that life is always 
being
made 
new

 On In Around button


15 comments:

  1. Love this Holly, such beauty in your relationship. I felt fragments of my weekend mirroring yours, and you made me aware of it in a way I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly, this is absolutely lovely!!!!! Keep on writing. thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Shelly. I love that we can help each other see things in new ways. You do that for me all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara,
    Thank you for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holly, this is deep and meaningful and real and beautiful. Amazing. You're a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this for so many reasons I can't count them all. I just see you and hear you all nestled in love and I am smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I love the format of the poem, the shedding of the words on the page. they are falling all around in bits and pieces and the form is the words and words are the form.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was so unbelievably beautiful. It was poetic and spiritual. Love it, love it, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glory be - you write the most evocative love poems. Thank you for this one. I'll never look at razor clippings in the sink the same way again. (well, maybe...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Diana. They keep sneaking up on me, these love poems.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This poem knocks my socks off! You've just inspired me to start a Poetry Pinterest board. I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but this will be the first pin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Elizabeth, thank you! I am honored and humbled.

    ReplyDelete