Thursday, July 26, 2012

{In which we are saved} A synchroblog





I used to think it was only “Jesus Saves.”  Everything else just fell into some sub category of that because isn’t everything about Jesus and aren’t I just one great big nothing?

But life is funny and things aren’t always what they seem and who am I to think I have it all figured out?

And as my clock steadily ticks and as my life spins and swirls and swells around me, I’m finding that joy lurks in unexpected places and, that Jesus...well he is a sneaky one.

I’m being saved by writing. 

I’m filling my insides with the art of wordsmiths such as Sarah, Elizabeth, Micha, Amber, Emily, Jeff, Preston and Idelette.  I’m reading and savoring and storing up their overflow and I am bearing weight that was once unthinkable.  I'm wrapping myself in their voices and insights and honesty and dirt because all of it is being used for good.

And I am being saved by my own writing.  Not because it is awesome or incredible but because it is happening.  
I'm finding that to write is to bleed and I am oozing out all over the place and blood can flow from wounds but it is also a life source and
I. just. can't. stop. it.

And I am being saved by taking photos.  Because my camera has become another set of eyes and I am seeing the world as if for the first time.  




And my children, they, too are saving me.  Saving me from myself.  Saving me from self-importance and pride.  Saving me from hate and disillusionment and anal retentiveness.  My children pull me back to Earth, to the ground, to the humus that I am.  Every day I die and every day I am reborn and isn't that the definition of saving?

And, perhaps most importantly, I am being saved by gratitude.  Because if thanksgiving is the soil than joy is the fruit and I long to be a farmer of bliss.


Won't you join Sarah Bessey
in her synchroblog?

What is saving your life right now?

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love that last picture! "and
    I. just. can't. stop. it."...yes! Now that I've started writing somewhat consistently, I feel the same way! It's amazing. I wish I had pushed myself to do this years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are STUNNING, Holly. Wow! And loved your post. Thank you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your photos bring so much to your writing. Your mind has such clarity, that when you write it comes through. Thank you, thank you, and thank you. Love you cousin

    ReplyDelete