Tuesday, July 3, 2012

What pulls me


I stare into the center of the hollyhock blossom and am caught unawares

I already knew that it was beautiful
with its blazing color
and
its feathery grace flowing 
its length and breadth swaying 
with subtlety and nuance


And I had long ago marveled
at
the joy it brought
how it connected me to
the man
who walked along roadsides
in a state miles away
gathering colored joy
in his pockets 


And how I wanted that
delight
to grow in my garden
and
for my boys
to be dwarfed by
its
beauty
and comforted
by its
humming

These things
I knew

But it was
the
outstretched hands
inside
with rays of light
pulsing
that
gripped me

This...
this is what pulls me
I gasp
this star shaped center
almost hidden
but still brilliant

This is what it has always been

And so I wonder
when people turn their heads
and gaze
at
all that is me
what do they
already know?

what has it always been?

2 comments:

  1. These words are like a long ambling walk on the first warm day of spring.

    Thank you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Art and beauty and a sweet tender soul. I love you and I love your writing- this new glimpse into you that is somehow- hundreds of miles apart- still more intimate and binding than living together in the same little room. Sometimes, we know the beauty is there, but are still startled and awed when we see it afresh or in a new light or with the bright light of the sun shining through the petals. Write on- and please, never stop.
    Tracie

    ReplyDelete